Sunday, May 6, 2012

Declan's Birth Day

I am a person that likes to plan in advance.  With that said, Brian and I went to our birth classes and I went to my breastfeeding class.  I also planned to get an epidural, so I had already completed my epidural interview, so when Declan decided to arrive, we would be as ready as we could be.

My pregnancy went rather well.  I was healthy and Declan was healthy.  Let's back track a little...At my 34 or 35 week appointment, my blood pressure had gone really high and I had a rather large weight gain.  So, doctor sent me to labor and delivery to get some tests run.  I ended up being sent home with a 24 hour urine analysis and was to meet back up with my doctor.  The results ended up coming back great.  No worries about getting preclamptic (pregnancy induced high blood pressure).  The doctor still put me on modified bed rest, which meant for me just putting my feet up. I really couldn't stay home because I didn't even have enough sick leave to cover even half of my maternity leave.

At week 36, I became very nauseous on that Sunday.  I ended up calling into work that Monday and Tuesday because of feeling so nauseous.  I never call in sick, so this was big for me.  I called my doctor's office (which my doctor was on vacation because it was spring break) and they told me if my symptoms did not go away I would need to go into labor and delivery to get evaluated.  I am stubborn, I did not want to go to labor and delivery.  I was determined I would get better.  Meanwhile, Brian, had been telling me I need to get checked out.  He is a very good husband.  I am just a very stubborn wife.  So, when I woke up on Wednesday morning I had decided I would go to work.  I wasn't feeling any better, but I was determined.  After getting ready for work, I told Brian we better just go to labor and delivery to make sure I am okay.  So, we packed our bags that Wednesday, March 21 and decided we would probably be back.

We arrived at labor and delivery at 7:30 that morning and got right in.  I was in triage until about 11:45 ish when the nurses came in to tell me that I was a very sick girl.  I was dehydrated, had a UTI, which was causing my placenta to be irritated.  This was why I had felt so nauseous.  Not only was I sick with this, but I had officially been diagnosed with preclampsia.  My liver and kidney were not doing well and my blood platelets were very low.  With that being said, the only way to get better was to be induced.  Also, with my blood platelets being so low, my blood won't clot.  Which also means, no epidural.  With all of this news that I wasn't expecting, I instantly burst into tears.  This was not my plan.  I do know now, God had another plan in store for me.  Brian made calls to all our family and I was wheeled into my labor and delivery room.

I was then given several different medications when I arrived.  I was given pitocin, magnesium, and other things.  The pitocin was to start my contractions and the magnesium was to prevent me from having a seizure or stroke.  They still padded my bed down just in case I would seize.  This was definitely scary.  I really had no idea I was that sick.  The mag drip was a disgusting drug.  I felt like I was in a constant fog the whole time I was on it.  I was not able to get off of the mag drip until 24 hours after I had Declan.

With all of my sickness did come the most perfect miracle in the world.  He is definitely a gift from God.  At 10:24 PM on March 21, our beautiful baby boy arrived.  He was 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 3/4 inches long.  Our boy was not named for quite some time because we had not decided on the name yet and I was so drugged up.  I only pushed for 45 minutes and here he came.  This was the hardest thing I had ever done in my life and the most painful.  I still want an epidural if there ever is a next time.

Brian was my rock during this whole experience.  I would not have been able to do it without him.  I have the best husband around.  He is loving, caring, and very patient with me.  He guided me through this journey of a day we had together.  We also had the best nurses in the world! We were in labor and deliver for a very long time and they took very good care of us.  I cried when my delivery nurse, Michelle, left me.  She was a blessing for sure.  Without her and Brian, I would not have been so successful in my delivery.   We had many blessings that day.  Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts during our long process.  

Declan Grayson Doubrava you are now our everything.  Our gorgeous baby boy.  Enjoy the pictures of our first moments together. 

Daddy and Declan

Our first family photo

Grandpa Hutch was his first visitor at around 11:30 PM, so he deserves to be honored as well! :)

Mommy and Declan, our first of many kisses

Declan Grayson, you are perfect

7 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story! Almost brought me to tears :) So glad you have recovered so well and that Declan is a happy and healthy baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness definitely not an easy way to come into the world and definitely not easy on you. I had no idea! I'm glad in the end it all worked out perfectly and he is adorable. Blake always comes home and says how he was glad he got to see baby Declan and how tiny he is. I'm glad all is well and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how many texts all the girls exchanged that day. We were worried sick. So glad everything worked out and YOU & Baby D are okay!

    Loveeee you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go check out my newest blog.........I left you a reason to blog again!!!

      Delete